About the Department
The Department of Arabic, Persian & Urdu was started at Cotton College from its establishment in 1901 along with the subjects- English, Physics, Chemistry, etc., which has been playing a vital role in the expansion of qualitative education from its inception. Initially, Calcutta University accorded affiliation to Intermediate Course both in Arabic and Persian in 1907, and in 1909 the University extended affiliation to B.A. Course in both the subjects. Urdu was also taught as a vernacular language in this department. The Post Graduate Course was introduced in both Arabic and Persian subjects in 1992. In addition, the department is offering Ph.D. Course after the up-gradation of Cotton College to University.